Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wall Types - Structural vs Architectural

(Copy/Monitor Part II)
Copy/Monitor is a good start for walls, but... There is a lot of extraneous finishes and insulation that I don't want to show up on the structural plans and sections. I try and change the wall families to not show anything but the core on structural, but that appears to not be an option (wishlist anyone?).

I opt to change the wall type completely. I change all the architectural fancy walls to simple structural walls, and have to move all the walls a bit because "center of wall" is not equal to "center or core". (HINT TO Architects: Please place your walls using "center of core" or "edge of core").

I suppose I could have deleted all the finishes, barriers, and insulations, but I think I would have still ended up with the same problem where "center of wall" is not equal to "center or core". Would the core have stayed in the correct location? Somebody let me know if I'm wrong. In fact, I have one last fancy wall left on the project I'll just test that theory now...

*Update* Yes, it appears that the walls will remain in the correct location when the structure is modified. I think you want to make sure and change the "Location line" of all the walls to "center of core" before modifying the wall family. *** More on this later ***

No comments: